Thursday, September 6, 2007

Minä rakastan sihua = I love you

My apologies for not blogging on a more regular basis. I have been informed that I will be receiving my wireless Internet passwords tomorrow, which means that I will have Internet access from my very own room!! This is a big deal for me because I have had to take a bus to the university every morning to use the wireless there. I have come to realize how much I depend on technology!! How sad!!

Anyhow, I am now settling into Tampere. It has been a rough road but I guess it could have been worse. I now have my own room and even though it is small I know it is mine and it feels good. It is the one space I have to relax without people looking at me. Sometimes I feel like I have a big sign over my head that reads “Foreigner”.

I was informed today that the reason Finns do not say I love you is because it is too long and awkward to say. I think I have to agree with them!! I was also informed that this is also the reason why Finns are considered to be cold. Apparently, words that indicate warm feelings are quite long so it is easier to substitute words and use phrases like “You are dear to me”. Kinda loses something, doesn’t it??

My practicum is going well. I am at Iideshovi. It is an agency that provides services to adults with mental illness. They have a supported living program that houses 16 people. They provide a safe environment for socializing and they have activities that include Nordic walking, painting, games, and outings such as trips to Stockholm. The staff are incredibly friendly and they have welcomed me more than I imagined they would. I have learned plenty speaking with various clients. Here are some things I have learned:

1. Funding for social services mostly comes from the city. There can be great variation between services in one city to another city as programs are developed to meet the need of each specific location.
2. People attempting to re-enter the workforce or switch jobs can apply for a specific type of funding that will allow them to intern at a company. The company does not pay them but if the person is able to prove their skills the company can then opt to hire them. This program is frequently used by youth that have just finished high school and are unsure of what career to pursue.
3. One of the biggest mental health agencies in Finland is located right here in Tampere. They have over 1000 members...pretty large for a city of just over 200 000.
4. There is a strong push towards privatization. The reasoning behind this is to reduce duplication of services.

There are many other things I have learned about what is going on in the field of social services in Tampere and in parts of Finland...however, they probably only interest me!!

Here are some Finnish words that I have learned:

Hyvä = Good; it is pronounced huva

Moro = Hello; this form of hello is commonly only used in Tampere. Using it in Helsinki would indicate that you are a “hillbilly”.

Hei = Hello; pronounced “hey”; this is typically used throughout Finland

Moi = Yet another form of hello

Hyää paivän jatkoa = Have a nice day; I have forgotten how it is pronounced!!

Well, that is all for now. I send my love to everyone...you are all in my thoughts!! Please keep in touch as I am always thinking about what everyone is up to and how everyone is doing.

Moi!!

No comments: