Yes, the darkness has come in full force!! On Sunday I was unpleasantly surprised with the clocks changing and falling back an hour. This now means that instead of it getting dark at around 5:30PM it gets dark at 4:30PM. I am told that it will continue to get dark earlier to around 3:30PM. Not sure if this is an exaggeration but the Finns are not known for lying so I may come home with some Seasonal Affective Disorder.
I just started at the Foreigners Office on Monday. This is the office that is responsible for helping immigrants and refugees with residence permits "integrate" into Finnish society. Integration consists of language training, job training, help with daily living activities (e.g., grocery shopping), and providing financial assistance. One of the most interesting things I have come across is at the Employment Office. If someone is unemployed they must register with this office and then they are assigned an employment planner. This person is responsible for working with the client to develop a 3 year work plan with the ultimate aim usually being full-time employment. The prerequesites for this are active job-seeking, availablity to join the workforce, and ability to work full-time. Thought this was interesting considering that many people are not able to work part-time...the prerequesites seem a little rigid to me.
I just returned from dinner with Kritee, Stephanie, Elaine, and Alex. Kritee cooked dinner and I made dessert. I thought it was fitting to share one of my favorite desserts with everyone so I made blueberry grunt. I cheated a little because unfortunately I don't know enough Finnish to shop for all of the ingredients so I am sure I did not due it justice. However, it was good enough!!
Well, nothing too exciting to report. Everything seems to be rolling along well. I am counting the days for Geoff's arrival and then our return to Canada. As much as I have had fun here I still miss everyone at home. But this is a once in a lifetime opportunity so I am making the most of it....and turning people's teeth blue whenever I can!!
Much love!!
Bug
P.S.-- Here are some random pictures!!
Ben (my Finnish tutor), you are finally on the net!! Hope your return home has gone well!! Thanks for everything!!
Fellow Canadians, a German, and a Greek enjoying blueberry grunt!! I love sharing food.
Miss Elaine showing off her beautiful blue teeth!!
Now, I'm not a marketing expert, but would it not make more sense to advertise "80% fat-free" rather than only 9% fat?!
No comments:
Post a Comment